One of the most popular home design-related searches, in the United States over the last couple of years, has been barndominium house plans.
In this article, we'll share all the information and details you need to know, to decide if barndominiums are a good option for you and your lifestyle.
What is a Barndominium?
A barndominium is a large steel (typically) building with enough room for a living area and a shop/stall/barn/garage space. One of the most popular inclusions is that of having multiple horse stables, hay lofts, tack rooms, and more.
In most cases, a barndominium is built new from house palns, from the ground up, vs retrofitting an existing building.
One of the reasons this type of farmhouse home design style is so popular is the attractive aesthetic look of the traditional barn style.
It gives people the "true" farmhouse country look on both exterior and interior, and it includes utilitarian design which maximizes the usable space in a flexible way. In addition, due to its typical rectangular floorplan layout, it can be more cost-effective and timely to build.
Benefits of Barndominium House Plans
Aside from the aesthetic reasons, barndominiums are increasingly popular these days due of the following benefits:
- Quick to Build - Barndominium can be faster to construct than a typical home, even if you build it from scratch. In addition, there are even barndominium DIY kits that simplify and accelerate the construction process.
- Lower Potential Tax and Maintenance Cost - Depending on the area that you're building in, Barndominiums can have lower tax and insurance rates compared to traditional houses.
- Energy Efficient - Barndominiums that are made of metal can be very cost-effective and energy-efficient. This material provides insulation and weatherization against natural elements.
- Multi-purpose Home Option - Barndominiums can function as your home and barn/shop at the same time. Today's line of barndominium floor plans are highly customizable and can feature spacious interiors, that can easily be used as a home office, barn, place to entertain, and a place to live all at the same time.
- Affordable Cost to Build - These type of home designs can be less expensive to build, when compared to more traditional homes, and that's been one of the main reasons why interest has continued to grow in barndominiums.
Cost of Building Barndominium
The cost of building a barndominium depends on various factors, such as your location and the materials that you're going to use. However, generally speaking, they can be build more affordably than a more traditional houseplan
There is also the option to, potentially, save money by using DIY barndominium kits. These types of packages often include the foundation, walls, doors, and premium windows. In some cases, the builder can even construct the metal shell of the barndominium onsite.
At the end of the day, barndominiums can be a great option for certain families looking for an affordable, flexible, and highly-functional place to both live and work.